(born 1988, real name: Svitlana Biedarieva)
A Mexico- and UK-based Ukrainian artist and art researcher. She works with the topics of the limits of art, ideological space, violence, and resistance. Sveta is currently finishing her PhD at the Courtauld Institute of Art, University of London. She completed an MA in Semiotics at the University of Tartu, Estonia, and an MA in History of Art at the Courtauld. She works in the artistic media of digital graphics, painting, installation, and performance art. In 2017, her project of large-scale digital murals “The Morphology of War” was presented at the Museo Erasto Cortes in Puebla, Mexico, (February-June 2017) and at the National Centre of Arts in Mexico City (May 2017). In August-September 2017, this project travelled to the 5th International Biennale of Odessa in Ukraine.
Sveta has presented her work in Mexico, Ukraine, Estonia, Finland, Germany, and the United Kingdom. In 2014, Sveta has received the second place in the National Tour Art award organized by the Glyndebourne Festival in the UK, and she has participated in the exhibition of finalists in the famous Glyndebourne Opera House. In 2012, she worked on a solo performance project “Personal Studio” during the residency programme “Mecklenburg Inspires” in Germany. Her latest participation was in a group exhibition “Art/Work: 55 Ukrainian and Polish artists” that was organized by Mystetskyi Arsenal in Kyiv and City Gallery in Wroclaw, Poland in August-October 2017.
- May 2017: Exhibition The Morphology of War, ENPEG “La Esmeralda”, National Centre of Arts, Mexico City, Mexico (funded by Tsukanov Family Foundation)
- Feb-Jun 2017: Exhibition The Morphology of War, Museo Taller Erasto Cortés, Puebla, Mexico
- Feb – Mar 2012: Art project Personal Studio. Artistic residency ‘Mecklenburg Inspires’, Kühlungsborn, Germany (Recipient of the Step Beyond travel grant, European Cultural Foundation)
- Jul 2011: Land art project Mermaids. IV International Eco-Cultural Festival ‘Trypilske Kolo’. Air’, Rzhishev, Ukraine
- May 2010: Art project Mind Burrow, Parmivabrik Kultuuritehas Festival, Tartu, Estonia (with Kristin Orav).
STAGE AND COSTUME DESIGN
- (Forthcoming): May-Dec 2018: Stage and Costume Design for the Opera “La Clemenza di Tito”, Opera en Movimiento, Teatro Llave and Main Auditorium, Orizaba, Veracruz, Mexico
- Jul-Aug 2015: Stage and Costume Design for Opera “Eugenia”, Opera en MovimientoUK-Mexico touring opera project, State of Veracruz – Mexico City – Nottingham (funded by Cascade: University of Nottingham)
SELECTED GROUP PROJECTS
- Sep-Oct 2017: Exhibition Art/ WORK: 55 Ukrainian and Polish artists, Centre for Contemporary Art of the Railway and City Gallery, Wroclaw, Poland
- Aug-Sep 2017: The Morphology of War at the 5th International Biennale of Odessa, Odessa, Ukraine.
- Jun-Jul 2017: Exhibition Art/ WORK: 55 Ukrainian and Polish artists, Art Arsenal (Mystetsky Arsenal), Kiev, Ukraine
- Aug 2016: Shortlisted, Programme BBVA Bancomer/Carrillo Gil, Mexico City
- Oct 2015: Glyndebourne National Tour Art Award (Finalist), Stalls Gallery, Lewes, East Sussex
- Oct 2014: Glyndebourne National Tour Art Award (2nd Place), Stalls Gallery, Lewes, East Sussex, UK
- Oct 2013: Second Residency, International Theatre Festival “Mess”, Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Jun 2013: Saatchi Screen project, Saatchi Gallery, London, UK
- Jul 2012: Exhibition Travesías. Restaurant ‘Mesón Antigua Santa Catarina’, Mexico City, (with Laura Garcia)
- Jun 2012: Exhibition unKontained, the Kontainer Project, Helsinki, Finland
- Apr 2012: Exhibition Paisajes Urbanos del D.F., Aguafuerte Gallery, Mexico City
- Mar 2012: Exhibition Baltic Inspirations, Kunsthalle Kühlungsborn, Germany
- Sep 2008: Exhibition Grablia (‘The Rake’), O. Zamostyan’s gallery, Kyiv, Ukraine
- May 2008: Art project Ecclesiast_another_alphabet, PidWALL gallery, Kyiv, Ukraine
- Feb 2008: Exhibition Sproba oliudnennia (‘A Try to Humanizing’), PidWALL gallery, Kyiv, Ukraine
sveta bedareva, svitlana biedarieva, art, morphology of war, morfología de la guerra