(born 1988, real name: Svitlana Biedarieva)
Ukrainian artist, curator, and art researcher. She works with the topics of the limits of art, ideological space, violence, and resistance. Sveta is currently finishing her PhD at the Courtauld Institute of Art, University of London. She works in the artistic media of digital graphics, painting, installation, and performance art. In 2017, her project of large-scale digital murals “The Morphology of War” was presented at the Museo Erasto Cortes in Puebla, Mexico, (February-June 2017) and at the National Centre of Arts in Mexico City (May 2017). In August-September 2017, this project travelled to the 5th International Biennale of Odesa in Ukraine.
Sveta completed an MA in Semiotics at the University of Tartu, Estonia, and an MA in History of Art at the Courtauld. She has presented her work in Mexico, Ukraine, Estonia, Finland, Germany, and the United Kingdom. Her latest group exhibitions include Art/Work: 55 Ukrainian and Polish Artists (Mystetskyi Arsenal in Kyiv and City Gallery in Wroclaw, Poland, June-November 2017), At the Front Line: Ukrainian Art, 2013-2019, National Museum of Cultures of the World, Mexico City (where also was a co-curator, in collaboration with Museo Memoria y Tolerancia and National Cineteca), and the exhibition of the Finalists of the MUKHi Young Ukrainian Artists Award, Taras Shevchenko National Museum, Kyiv, Ukraine (Organized by Shchebenko Art Centre, Laureate of the Audience’s Choice Award).
- May 2017: Exhibition The Morphology of War, National Centre of Arts, Mexico City, Mexico (funded by Tsukanov Family Foundation)
- Feb-Jun 2017: Exhibition The Morphology of War, Museo Taller Erasto Cortés, Puebla, Mexico
- Feb – Mar 2012: Art project Personal Studio. Artistic residency ‘Mecklenburg Inspires’, Kühlungsborn, Germany (Recipient of the Step Beyond Travel Grant, European Cultural Foundation)
- Jul 2011: Land art project Mermaids. IV International Eco-Cultural Festival ‘Trypilske Kolo’. Air’, Rzhishev, Ukraine
- May 2010: Art project Mind Burrow, Parmivabrik Kultuuritehas Festival, Tartu, Estonia (with Kristin Orav).
SELECTED GROUP PROJECTS
- Nov 2019: Laureate of the Jóvenes Creadores 2019-2020 Scholarship, Ministry of Culture of Mexico (FONCA)
- Oct-Nov 2019: Exhibition of the Finalists of the MUKHi Young Ukrainian Artists Award, Taras Shevchenko National Museum, Kyiv, Ukraine, Organized by Shchebenko Art Centre. Laureate of the Audience’s Choice Award.
- Sep 2019 – Jan 2020: Exhibition At the Front Line: Ukrainian Art, 2013-2019, National Museum of Cultures of the World, Mexico City, Mexico (in collaboration with Museo Memoria y Tolerancia and National Cineteca) (funded by International “Renaissance” Foundation, Mironova Foundation, and Samsung Mexico)
- May 2018: 00 Biennale of La Habana, Havana, Cuba
- Mar-Apr 2018: Modern Classicisms Project, Exhibition The Classical Now!, Bush House, London. Organized by Kings College London and the Musée d’Art Classique de Mougins, France.
- Sep-Oct 2017: Exhibition Art/ WORK: 55 Ukrainian and Polish Artists, Centre for Contemporary Art of the Railway and City Gallery, Wroclaw, Poland
- Aug-Sep 2017: The Morphology of War at the 5th International Biennale of Odesa, Odesa, Ukraine.
- Jun-Jul 2017: Exhibition Art/ WORK: 55 Ukrainian and Polish artists, Art Arsenal (Mystetskyi Arsenal), Kyiv, Ukraine
- Aug 2016: Shortlisted, Programme BBVA Bancomer/Carrillo Gil, Mexico City
- Oct 2015: Glyndebourne National Tour Art Award (Finalist), Stalls Gallery, Lewes, East Sussex
- Oct 2014: Glyndebourne National Tour Art Award (2nd Place), Stalls Gallery, Lewes, East Sussex, UK
- Oct 2013: Second Residency, International Theatre Festival “Mess”, Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Jun 2013: Saatchi Screen project, Saatchi Gallery, London, UK
- Jul 2012: Exhibition Travesías. Restaurant ‘Mesón Antigua Santa Catarina’, Mexico City, (with Laura Garcia)
- Jun 2012: Exhibition unKontained, the Kontainer Project, Helsinki, Finland
- Apr 2012: Exhibition Paisajes Urbanos del D.F., Aguafuerte Gallery, Mexico City
- Mar 2012: Exhibition Baltic Inspirations, Kunsthalle Kühlungsborn, Germany
- Sep 2008: Exhibition Grablia (‘The Rake’), O. Zamostyan’s gallery, Kyiv, Ukraine
- May 2008: Art project Ecclesiast_another_alphabet, PidWALL gallery, Kyiv, Ukraine
- Feb 2008: Exhibition Sproba oliudnennia (‘A Try to Humanizing’), PidWALL gallery, Kyiv, Ukraine
sveta bedareva, svitlana biedarieva, art, morphology of war, morfología de la guerra, Svitlana Biedarieva Courtauld, Svitlana biedarieva artist, svitlana Biedarieva uk london, sveta bedareva mexico, ukrainian artist